ASP Picture Calendar
This version for servers that support ASP scripts is similar to the version we published a few months ago, the PHP Picture Calendar. Although different in implementation, and distributed independently, both work in a similar way, so you can choose the version most suitable for your hosting environment
ASP Picture Calendar stands out from other similar products because of the advanced features of its administration panel: it includes uploading without need for installation of additional components on the server, its code being 100% classic ASP.
This type of calendars is popular on sites promoting places of touristic interest, providing an image of an event program, to display photos of friends on their birthdays, to show moon phases or in any other cases where you need to associate visual information to a given day. In addition to each image you can associate additional information in form of a floating panel to display more data without having to navigate away from the page.
The calendar is available as an extension for Dreamweaver, but Dreamweaver is no longer required to install and use it; the product includes a sample that you can simply upload onto your website, set the appropriate permissions and paste the HTML code to insert calendars on the pages where you want to display them.
The main features are:
- Uses Ajax to communicate with the server, making it more modern and comfortable to use;
- Allows you to associate one or several images to the same date;
- Includes the functionality to upload images without need for external components, 100% classic ASP;
- Each image can be assigned a dynamic floating panel with additional information - title and contents - with visual formatting possibilities, such as bold or italic font, font color, etc;
- Each image can be assigned a link where user is redirected upon clicking on an image;
- Each image can be displayed on one day or on a range of dates;
- You can install the calendar visually from the Dreamweaver menu or manually without the need for Dreamweaver;
- Includes a modern system of administration / editing of images and contents of the calendar;
- Comes with an HTML (WYSIWYG) editor to format content associated with each image;
- While the admin system requires ASP, the public calendar can be inserted on any page (for ex., HTML) since data are loaded seamlessly using Ajax technologies.
Below is an example of a public calendar. You can also watch the video demo of installation and administration.
DEMO (Administration console)
Please click here to open the administration area demo in a new window.
- Your server must support ASP scripts.
- You must set writing permissions to the "database" folder located on this path: "DC_ASPPictCalendar/admin/database" ... and also to all the files and subfolders within the "database" folder.
- If you wish to install it using Dreamweaver, you will need Dreamweaver MX or later versions (including Dreamweaver MX 2004, DW 8, CS3, CS4, CS5, CS6,...)
Installation and use:
If you aren't using Dreamweaver then ignore the steps from #1 to #5 below and follow the instructions specified into the "readme.txt" file located into the folder "Non-Dreamweaver version" (after unzipping the downloaded file). Basically just copy the files into your website and start reading from the step #6 below.
To install from Dreamweaver, follow these steps:
- Double-click the ".MXP" file downloaded from our site or use Adobe Extension Manager to open the ".MXP" file (required only once, to install it within Dreamweaver).
- Restart Dreamweaver (required only once after the previous step).
After these steps, the calendar will show up in the menu "Dreamweaver Menu >> Commands >> Insert Picture Calendar".
To insert the calendar into a webpage, follow these steps:
- Open the page where you wish to insert the calendar. This page must be previously saved within the website configured in your Dreamweaver.
- Use the menu option "Dreamweaver Menu >> Commands >> Insert Picture Calendar". The following window will appear:
- In this setup window, select the language in which you want to display your calendar (currently available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Japanese, Portuguese and Dutch.)
- Select the user name and password that you want to use to access the calendar's admin (each calendar can have its own user name & password).
- After clicking on "OK", save your page and upload it to your server along with the folder "DC_ASPPictCalendar" which was generated automatically within your website.
- On your web server, you must now set writing permissions to the " database" folder located here: : "DC_ASPPictCalendar/admin/database" ... and also set writing permissions to all files and subfolders within the "database" folder.
- The address from which you can manage your calendar is:
...or, if the calendar is not at the root of your website:
The admin interface is simple and intuitive. After logging in with the user name and password selected during the insertion process, you will see a page like this:
When you add or edit a day, you will see a window like this:
In the window above, the data to be specified are:
- Title & Description: info that will be displayed in the dynamic floating panel for each image.
- Show tooltip on... : Select here if you wish to show the floating panel and when it should be shown (mouse over, mouse click)
- Go to the URL... : Indicates if you wish to associate a link to the image and if it should be opened in the same window or in a new window.
- Select Interval: To select a day or a range of days in which the image and its associated info should be shown.
- Upload / Link to the image: To upload image or to indicate the link to the current location of the image.